Since my elderly mother is beginning to not remember like she used to, this inspired me to research for you why do we forget things. It must be scary to be losing our memory, but maybe there are ways that we can solve this problem.
Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase is through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. You will not pay more by clicking through the link. What links I include in my guides are resources that I use and merchandise that might benefit you, every purchase made provides me a very small commission. Pushing products is not the intention of this website, instead, providing you with problem-solving solutions is my priority.
Mental Health Guides
For your convenience, I am starting to share my better guides related to the category that I am writing for you. Today we are addressing mental health problems, here are a few of my past publications that might interest you.
- How Gardening Benefits Your Health
- Free Mood Tracker Apps
- Free Online Bible Classes
- Emotional Animal Support
- Mental Emotional Health Lesson Plans
- Fun Indoor Youth Group Games
- The Short Learning Style Quiz
- Picky Eater Lunch Ideas for Autistic Children
- Free Autism Communication Cards
With the list above you have access to my best mental health guides, no wasting your time searching on your own. Providing easy access is very important to me, we are now ready to learn what I have found out for you about our memory.
Common Reasons We Forget Things
Let us begin with what might be causing our memories to be failing us from time to time, and by knowing this we just might be able to improve remembering. There are several reasons this can be happening, and that is what I have to share with you right now.
- Asking ourselves how much sleep are we receiving, when we don’t get enough shut-eye often leads to us forgetting things.
- Consulting your physician about any medications you might be taking could solve your problem, many of them are known to have an impact on our being able to think clearly.
- Some people experiencing thyroid malfunctioning also can experience this, once again talk to your doctor about testing your thyroid functioning.
- Alcoholic beverages are another culprit for this problem, how many times have you had just a little too much and could not remember everything that you did or where you spent your time?
- Chronic stress and anxiety for extended periods could also be contributing to forgetting things, many times relaxation techniques are a natural solution you can try.
- Depression often goes hand in hand with stress and anxiety, If you feel these could be a possibility you really need to make an appointment with a medical professional.
Since medication is a possibility, we are going to look into this more closely in my next paragraph. With so many of us on prescription drugs today, just knowing which ones are known to cause memory issues can be extremely helpful.
Are You Taking These Medications
Health Harvard Education provided the information you have read so far, if you trust this organization as much as I do, you will take the list below seriously. Always talk with your physician if you are experiencing mental health issues, many times a small adjustment or medication change is an easy solution to your problem.
If you are taking any of the prescription drugs above, you should make an appointment to discuss if they could be causing you cognitive issues. Many people become overwhelmed when they are experiencing forgetting things, so many fear they are losing their minds.
Mental Health Warning Signs
Knowing the warning signs you are facing a serious mental health problem is important, and this is especially helpful if you are in your senior years. Let us learn what to watch out for, this will be a great asset as you grow older in age.
- Asking the same questions over and over again?
- Maybe experience not being able to think of the proper words during a conversation.
- Confused often referring to things with the wrong word
- Struggle to balance your bank statement often is an early warning sign for many people
- Forgetting where you put something more often than you should
- Feel lost even though you are in a familiar part of your town
- Your mood changes unexpectedly for no reason
What could these warning signs be telling you, we are going to explore the possibilities to give you a better idea. Before we move on feel free to visit Gizmo on Pinterest for all my guides, you can open a free account if you already don’t have one if you desire to.
Cognitive Functioning Diseases
Mental health is becoming a very serious problem worldwide, no matter what your race might be or your gender, you are at risk of experiencing them at any time in your life. In the past, these were thought to be normal elderly health issues. Now even quite young people have been hit by some of them, so let us just see what these are.
- The most well-known to most of us is Alzheimer’s Disease, which is a form of dementia.
- Frontotemporal Dementia
- Vascular Dementia
- Lewy Body Dementia
- You can also experience a mix of these types of dementia as well
Before you think you might be going crazy, we are going to research what you can do to improve your memory. If you are interested in this in more detail, feel free to read my publication Early Signs of Dementia. There are some changes we can make, and that is what I have for you coming up next.
Cognitive Functioning What You Can Do
The key is to add some of the things you can do before things become worse, doctors are big today in preventive health treatment, and Gizmo prefers natural before medications. You will never find me recommending any prescription or over-the-counter drugs, now that doesn’t mean you should not take them if prescribed by a physician. What I prefer is to try the natural approach first, and then if no other options talk to your doctor.
- Staying physically active might sound strange to you, but actually, this will benefit your cognitive functioning as well as your physical health.
- Going with aerobic exercise is recommended as the best type for the most benefits.
- Weight lifting also is another good choice to consider, and in fact, combining both of these together is highly recommended.
- Add more healthy meals and fewer processed foods will help to clear your head, you might have noticed when you consume processed foods you experience symptoms such as fatigue and brain fog.
- Smokers are at high risk, and many experience brain tumors just like my own father did. Another common risk for smokers is bladder cancer, you can do your own research on this if you desire to.
- Alcoholic beverages in moderation will dramatically decrease your risk of dementia-type symptoms.
- Consider being more mentally active with brain games and reading books are good hobbies to add to your lifestyle.
People don’t often realize simple lifestyle changes can make a dramatic change in your life, you will want to make these changes while you are healthy and not wait until it is too late to improve your mental health.
Best Brain Foods For Memory
As was mentioned above your diet can decrease your risk of dementia, I am sure you are anxious to know what you should be putting into your body instead of your favorite processed foods. If you are liking my website, you do have the option to my free auto-notifications, all you will receive is a notice every time I publish a new guide.
- Coffee in moderation
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Dark Chocolate
- Nuts especially Walnuts
- Green Tea
- Sunflower Seeds
- Brown Rice
- Brussel Sprouts
What I do is eat a large salad every day and snack on my favorite berries, since doing this my cognitive functioning has dramatically improved. Just this one simple change in my diet has been an awesome life-changing experience, now I do treat myself to processed snacks from time to time in moderation.
Gizmo loves to provide you with resources that will help you, many times people just don’t have the time to search for them online on their own. Also, you might have no idea how to find the best ones, no fear that is what I created this website to do for you.
- National Institute on Aging
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Long-Term Care Planning for Dementia
- Finding Local Services
- Alzheimer’s Navigator
These resources will give you a good start, you will find this type of help in all my self-help guides. Just so you know what to expect if this is your first time here, now we are moving on to Gizmos freebies.
Who Loves Coupons
Coupons are what you are going to have access to here, whenever you are experiencing health problems every dollar you can save is important. With the high price of healthcare, these can be an easy solution to stretching your dollar to go further.
The coupons should save you some money on your needs and wants, today I included gifts as a bonus for anyone shopping for the best deals. You can also visit Gizmo on Twitter, so here is another place you will find me hanging out and tweeting my guides to help people.
Free Brain Games
Another freebie from me to you for visiting my website today, I really do appreciate you spending a little of your time with me. What I have for you are some free brain games, so without spending any money you are on your way to improving your cognitive functioning.
- Tricky Puzzles
- Brain Plus
- Neuro Nation
- Elevate Brain Training Games
- Logic Brain Games
- Quiz and Trivia Games
- Train Your Brain Memory Games
- Brain Games Left vs Right
- Learning Games for Kids
- Think, Think, Learning Games for Kids
- Memorado Brain Games
- Brain Teaser Games
- Brain Game Puzzles for Adults
- Physics Puzzles
- Brain Training Educational Games
- Classic Sodoku Puzzle
- Brain Out Can You Pass It
- Brain Games and Training
- Brain Test Tricky Stories
- Brain Gym
- Math Games for the Brain
- Brain Funny Cases
- Fun Brain Word Game
- Tricky Quests
- Test and Brain Games
- Brain Find Can You Find It
- Displace One Part
- Brain Well Brain Training
- Browse and Explore Free Brain Games
Something for everyone in the family at no cost to you, we are really on a roll for freebies in why do we forget things? Would you mind sharing this publication with your family and your friends, even on your social media would be very much appreciated?
Free Brain Games For Seniors
Adding this paragraph, especially for seniors is a bonus. Since as we age these are very important to keep our brain health at its best, I thought sharing ones that are senior-friendly would be something worth including.
- Train Your Brain Memory Games
- Lumosity Brain Games
- Keep Your Brain Active
- Brain Training Games
- Brain Games and Training
- More Than 30 Brain Games
- Memory Games and Attention
- Memory Games Brain Training
- Daily Brain Games for Adults
- Train Your Brain
- Memory Power
- Attention Games
- Mind Games for Adults
- Senior Games
- Blow Up the Balloon Game
- Reasoning Games
- Clockwork Brain
- Concentration Match Game
- Logic IQ Puzzle
- Train Your Brain Coordination
- Browse and Explore Free Brain Games for Seniors
Quite a collection of free brain games to choose from, I am sure you will have tons of fun playing these and at the same time improving your brain health. Anything you would like to share with us, you can do this simply in my comments section at the end of this guide.
Just one more freebie left to provide you access to, being this is such an important topic, I want to share with you as many free resources as I possibly can before we part ways. Happy to be able to do this for you, so here are some books for any book lovers reading this.
- Nutrition for Brain Health
- Mental Health and Human Resilience
- The Butterfly Project
- Mental Health Services
- Connectomics of the Brain
- Well-Being and Mental Health
- 7 Keys to Mental Health Freedom
- The Essential Meditation
- Get Access to Free Books by Clicking Here
One more paragraph to go, you really hit the jackpot for freebies by visiting my website. This is nothing new that you will not find in all my articles, some do have more than others depending on the topic we are discussing.
More Guides For You
In my last paragraph, I am going to provide you with my other self-help guide categories. If you are interested in any of them just click on the link to be taken to the category of your choice, this website is growing regularly all the time.
- Exercise and Fitness
- Weight Loss
- Kindle Direct Publishing Success Guide
We really covered quite a bit of information on brain health, you should have a much better idea of how to decrease your risk of dementia and memory loss now. The resources are also good if you are a caregiver of someone with the symptoms, so help is only a click away for you and the person you might be caring for.