When you think of adding a pet to your apartment or home, how many of you think of a cat or dog? What type of pet are ferrets got me interested to write this guide, now for anyone shopping for a unique animal, this might be just what you are searching for.
Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase is through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. You will not pay more by clicking through the link. My content is filled with information and resources, so if that is what you are searching for this is the website for you.
How Gizmo Can Help You
I have chosen topic categories that are filled with solutions to common problems, and to make it easier for you to get access, I have listed them with a link to browse all of my guides. Below you will find what is included on this website at this time, you can be sure more will be added as time goes by.
- Exercise n Fitness
- Home n Garden
- Mental Health
- Weight Loss
- Browse Self-Help Guides by Clicking Here
Providing you with several methods to get access to my publications in my content is important, this will save you the time searching on your own. More information and resources are what you will find, and my goal is to create a website that helps you solve problems with solutions and resources instead of merchandise.
Let us begin with some facts about this type of pet, knowing more about them just might help you decide if this is the right animal for you. Some people have added them to their homes not researching about them first, so we want to learn as much about them before making our decision.
- Ferrets belong to the weasel family
- Ferrets have domesticated about 2,500 years ago.
- Historically, ferrets were used to hunt rabbits and rodents.
- From 1860 to the start of World War II, ferrets were widely used in the American West to protect grain stores from rodents.
- They gained popularity as pets in the 1980s and 90s.
- The name “ferret” means “little thief.” This name likely refers to the common ferret habit of secreting away small items.
- The average lifespan of a domestic ferret is eight years.
- Ferrets are most active at dawn and dusk.
- An intact female ferret is a jill, and a spayed female is a sprite.
- An intact male is a hob, and a neutered male is a gib.
- Baby ferrets (less than 1 year) are kits.
- A group of ferrets is a business or fesnyng
- All kits are born with white fur
- Ferrets can get heartworms from the bite of an infected mosquito.
- Ferrets are similar to dogs in their susceptibility to heartworm infections, but their symptoms are more similar to those seen in cats.
The Food and Drug Administration website provided the facts about ferrets above, I always try to give credit to where my information comes from when possible. This is only right for any writer to do, and at the same time provides you with possible resources to use yourself.
Are Ferrets Right For You
Now that we know some facts about these animals, we are ready to learn if these are the right type of pets for you. That is what this paragraph is going to focus on, helping you make a wise decision before adding one to your apartment or home.
- The first thing to consider is preparing for them, they naturally are attracted to exploring any places that they can get into.
- Any spaces such as your furniture or walls will need to be eliminated.
- Since they live to climb and explore, we will need to be sure nothing heavy and valuable home decor is where they could knock them to the floor.
- If you happen to have stairs, these need to be ferret proofed as well.
- Any furniture or home furnishings made of wood will require protection, they are known to love to chew.
- Keeping your home tidy from anything they can destroy or harm themself is mandatory.
Just knowing this about them will give you a better idea if they are right for you, someone with a busy lifestyle really should think twice about adding one to their apartment or their home.
How Much Time Do You Have
Ferrets require social interaction with their owners, so considering how much time you have to spend with them is important. Let us learn more about them, I have listed some more things you will need to know before making the best decision.
- Ferrets sleep approximately eighteen hours per day.
- During the time they are awake they require to be extremely active and wish to play.
- Long periods in their cages will not work with these animals.
- Ask yourself do I have several hours every day to play with them?
As we can see they do need to be active when awake, can you spend several hours per day playing with them? This is extremely important for them to be content and happy, if this just is not possible, you might be better off considering another type of pet.
Training Your Ferret
You will be happy to know they will use a litter box similar to a cat, another part of their training will be to teach them not to bite and scratch. Here are a few tips that might be worth reading, we never want to add any animal into our family before really knowing as much about them as possible.
- Extremely intelligent animals
- With time and persistence, they can be trained to be well-behaved.
- The majority of them can be trained within less than one month.
- Do you have the patience and time to spend teaching your new companion, many people get pets and then find out they are more work than they imagined.
Are you finding this valuable information, and if so please share it with your family and your friends. You can be a great asset to the growth of this website, I also have a board on Pinterest. Just another way you can get easy access to all of my publications, and you can sign up absolutely free if not already with an account.
Ferrets Are Clean Animals
The ferret is extremely fussy about cleanliness, we need to be sure we have the time to keep them happy or this will lead to problems. I have shared a few things for you to think about, so you fully understand what you are getting yourself into with this unique pet.
- Daily litter box cleaning is a chore you can’t neglect.
- Keeping their cage clean is another chore you must be sure to make sure that you do with regularly.
- Even though these are not time-consuming, you need to think about if these fit into your schedule.
- Caring for the needs and wants of any animal is something we have no choice but to have the time to do, now you are getting a better idea of what is involved in taking care of them.
Before we go to my next paragraph, you are invited to visit me on Twitter if you desire to. I have many interesting tweets from my followers you can read, and this also is free to create an account. There is a link to my website on my profile, so this is yet another easy way to read my self-help guides.
How Long Do Ferrets Live
Possibly the lifespan of ferrets might be another fact we need to consider, if you add them as a baby they could be with you between six to ten years. Some have even lived to be as old as fifteen years old, are you ready for a long-term commitment is another thing to ask yourself?
- Will you be staying where you are living or moving around?
- Many landlords forbid any type of pet, now this is something to think about as well before making your final decision.
- How demanding is your career, are you finished attending college or business school?
- A big factor many people never consider is if they are going to be traveling, you can’t always take your companion on all of your trips might be something to think about.
- Another option is to adopt one already trained instead of a baby which will take time and patience to train yourself.
Do you already own a ferret or another type of pet, we all would love to hear about your experience and any tips that you might have to share. Just leave them in my comments section, we all can learn from one another by sharing. Have any questions, ask them in my comments section as well.
More Things To Consider
In this paragraph, we are going to address even more things you will want to consider. By reading these you will be able to make even better decisions, let us see what else I have found to help you below.
- Do you have small children, ferrets are not known to do well with very young children. This might really help you know if this is the right pet for your family, single people often do better with these animals than families.
- Older children are a different story altogether, as long as they understand they must be gentle with them.
- How many visitors do you receive on an average day, this animal is well-known for escaping through open doors.
- If you have company much of the time they could be harmed by being stepped on.
- Calmer homes with less traffic are better choices for this pet.
- Ferrets most of the time do their best as the only pet.
- The strong scent of this animal is extremely important also, some people are more sensitive than others to their strong odor.
- If you rent be sure to get permission from your landlord first.
- Can you afford the cost, you are going to find this is an investment more than some people are able to afford. What they will cost you varies, but most start out near $100.00 or more.
- Another expense is the vet cost, they require vaccinations regularly to be healthy.
- Finding a vet is not always easy in all areas, so this is something to check on before investing in them.
- Getting them spayed or neutered is another expense people often overlook, even though the price varies, you can be looking up to several hundred dollars for this procedure to be done.
- Cage, accessories, food, treats, toys, litter, and other supplies should be researched before ever getting any type of pet.
Did you find some things that you might never have thought of, and if so that means Gizmo did a good job? One more way you can get access to my publications is through my free auto-notifications, never any product promotion will be included. All that you receive is my guides as they are published, you then can read them or pass them up depending on if it interests you.
Deals n Steals
Let us take a short break before continuing, you will find some deals in this paragraph. Gizmo does receive a very small commission if you purchase anything, but it is not enough to really be worth me promoting them. Why I do this is to help you, that is what my website focuses on before anything else.
- Emotional Support Animals
- Shop Wholesale Starting at $5.00
- Handmade Home Decor
- Clearance Up to 50% Off
- Deals n Sales
The emotional support animals are where you can get your animal certified, if you are applying for a low-income apartment this will allow them to live there with you. Just a little bonus I threw in today, now we are ready to move on.
For anyone who has their heart set on a ferret, you might be curious about where you can purchase one. We are going to research for you breeders, this will give you a place to get started shopping for your new pet.
- Ferrets with Borders Canada
- Middle Earth Ferrets Kentucky
- Four Paws Wrecking Crew Ohio
- Novel Beginnings Ferretry Pennsylvania
- The Clay Ferret Virginia
- Ferret Patch Kits Washington
The American Ferret Association is a good place to start shopping, you can choose your location on the drop-down menu on their website. Every state in the United States is available, plus you have the option to shop in other countries. The link provided will take you directly to the page to start searching, I included this for your convenience to save you time.
You might be surprised as I am that ferret apps exist, I just did a search on the chance there would be some available to share with you. If this interests you, feel free to browse the list that I have found for you.
- Ferret Care
- Ferret Sounds
- Ferret Wallpapers
- Ferrets Great Funny Home Pets
- Browse Ferret Apps
Pretty cool you can get access to these apps, I have more waiting for you in my next paragraph. Remember to really take your time making such an important decision, you are taking a huge responsibility adding a ferret as your new animal companion.
Now we are going to learn what we need for our new pet, many of you might not be sure so this I feel is important to be sharing with you. The list will give you everything you need to get started, this was found on the Be Chewy website blog.
- Food n Water Dishes
- Hairball Remedy
- First Aid Kit
- Nail Trimmer
- Ferret Shampoo
- Toothbrush n Toothpaste
- Read the Article to Learn More
Very interesting list of supplies you will need for your new fur baby, I can’t imagine brushing a ferret’s tooth, can you? Being a dog owner my entire life, I have never brushed their teeth, what I do is provide them with dental doggy products instead.
Pet Care Guides
To help you, even more, I am including a few of my pet care guides. This will save you the time of searching for them on your own, as you can tell I do everything within my power to provide you with solutions to your problems in all of my self-help guides.
- Best Apartment Cat Breeds
- Natural Flea Treatments for Kittens and Puppies
- Homemade Healthy Cat Food Recipes
- Overweight Dog Diet Plan
- Songs About Cats
These are only a handful of articles that might help you, I love to write these guides to provide you with inspiration to solve your problems. Every publication provides you with information, resources, and my deals and steals, it is time for us to part ways once again. Remember you do have the opportunity to receive my auto-notifications at no cost to you, it is my way of helping you read the ones that interest you the most without you having to come on my website all the time.