No matter what type of gardening interests you there are many health benefits, and people of all ages can benefit from this hobby.
Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase is through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. You will not pay more by clicking through the link.
You can learn the gardening health benefits and much more by reading this guide, there is always lots of interesting information provided by Gizmo in every article on this website for you.
Benefits From Gardening
First, we are going to learn the health benefits of outdoor gardening. Even though I enjoy this type of living in an apartment, Gizmo is lucky enough to have an apartment balcony. Let us begin by exploring the outdoors since this is extremely popular, and we will be discussing other types and even providing you with some inspiration and tips.
- Vitamin D without taking vitamins
- Outdoor gardening is a popular hobby among retired seniors
- Studies have shown this can decrease your dementia risks by 36%
- 30 minutes of outdoors increases most people’s emotional health
- Natural stress relief for many people
- An enjoyable way to add aerobic exercise to your lifestyle
- Strengthen and keep your muscles toned
- Increases your physical endurance
- Awesome for joint health
- Socially increases relationships with other gardeners in your neighborhood
- Many senior citizen centers provide community gardens that are an excellent social outlet for retired seniors.
Even though these are not nearly all the health benefits of outdoor gardening, you will get an idea of how this simple hobby can improve your life and your health. Before we move on to another type, let us see how this can improve our mental health in more detail.
Outdoor Gardening Mental Health Benefits
Many of us think of only the physical health benefits of gardening, we are going to take it a step further by exploring the mental health benefits as well. More people are experiencing emotional problems today than ever before, and there are no signs that it is going to decrease in the near future.
- Anxiety and stress from things we can’t control often trigger many people’s symptoms, gardening provides us peace and teaches us to accept the things that we can’t control.
- Realize it is fine when things are not perfect, every plant we put into the ground does not always grow perfectly and that is something we learn from this simple hobby.
- Improves our self-esteem as our gardens become more beautiful from years of experience.
- Naturally gives most of us a positive attitude, when we are positive good things naturally just seem to happen for us.
- A great bonding to form healthy relationships with other gardeners and even families.
- Spending time in nature instead of technology as often has the potential to lengthen the quality of our life emotionally.
- Gardeners are naturally calmer emotionally and cope more effectively with anxiety and stress.
- Provide many folks with spiritual benefits that are often overlooked
- Improves your mood and cognitive functioning.
- People with Alzheimer’s and Dementia experience benefits from gardening in the early stages of these diseases.
- If you are interested in a hobby that will provide you with physical plus emotional benefits, why not start a garden?
In my next paragraph, I am going to share some informational articles focusing on gardening. This will be useful to beginners as well as advanced gardeners, we can never learn too much about something that we are passionate about.
I really feel these articles are worth your time reading, you will be happy to know they are very easy and simple to follow and understand. Education is a very important part of this website, today we are spending way too much time worrying about things instead of enjoying our lives.
- How to prepare the soil for a vegetable garden
- Create your own mini garden
- How to Build a Japanese garden
- Improving your health by gardening
- How to lose weight gardening
- Preparing a new garden bed
- How to create a no-dig garden
- How to get rid of garden slugs
- Introducing children to gardening
- How to get rid of garden moles
No matter your experience there is an article that can help you, you can search for even more by clicking on any of the links above. This is a very good resource to research for a wide variety of topics, I would suggest you consider using this when you are trying to solve a problem.
Indoor Gardening Health Benefits
Maybe an outdoor garden just is not possible, I know with my own health problems an indoor garden was my way to keep gardening. There are many health benefits from this type as well, so that is what we are going to talk about next.
- Improve our concentration to be more productive
- Houseplants are natural anxiety and stress relievers
- Improves your mood naturally
- Provide oxygen in your apartment or your home
- Choosing the right plants for your bedroom actually has improved some people’s sleep.
- Used to decorate your apartment or your home with houseplants is another way to use gardening indoors in a positive way.
- Provides you with feelings of well-being
- Cognitive health benefits
- Keeps your creativity blooming
- Plants indoors provide a healing benefit
- Regulates the humidity in your apartment or your home
- Decreases toxins plus pollutants indoors
- Increases our pain tolerance from chronic pain diseases
- Enhances our memory functioning
Now we have learned about growing houseplants indoors for our health, this might be a coincidence but since adding plants in my apartment my allergy symptoms have dramatically improved over the years.
Herb Garden Health Benefits
One of my favorites is herb gardens, they are super easy to grow and provide you with natural health benefits. Awesome choices for outdoor and indoor gardening, so you really can’t go wrong by adding this type of garden to your home.
- Heart disease
- Lower cholesterol
- Blood pressure management
- Blood sugar and insulin
- Antioxidant benefits
- Culinary herbs are the easiest for beginner gardeners to grow
As you can see herb plants provide us with very important health benefits, this is my favorite type of garden plant I include it in both my balcony and my indoor gardens. Gizmo does provide auto-notifications for your convenience, what you will receive is a notification every time a new publication is published.
Best Herbs For Indoor Gardening
Since herbs provide us with so many benefits, I want to help you get started growing them indoors. Below I have listed the easiest ones that even beginners can grow successfully, and this information came from HGTV just in case you are curious.
- Lemon Balm
- Bay Laurel
- Lemon Grass
- Kaffir Lime
Mints are another of my favorite for brewing my own homemade tea, what I do is put the leaves in my slow cooker with water and let my slow cooker do its thing. Nothing like homemade mint tea, once you brew your own, you will never want store-bought again.
Outdoor Garden Herbs
We will now look at what Country Living recommends as the easiest herbs to grow outdoors, this will give you the best ones no matter where you plan to start your herb garden.
- French Tarragon
These are the herbs Country Living suggests you add to your garden, another one of my favorites is Lavender. If you love the scent of this herb, I strongly suggest you consider this one as well.
Self-Help Guide Benefits
Let us just look at the benefits of reading my self-help guides, why I write them is to help as many people as I possibly can. This has become my purpose in my life in my senior years, and as long as God provides me with good health, I will be dedicating my time to helping you.
- Solving problems that you are facing and struggling with
- Overcoming any obstacles standing in your way
- Providing you with my own experience plus resources you can research on your own
- Increase your confidence that you can overcome your problem
- Inspire and motivate you with my guides
- Ease your anxiety and stress from being overwhelmed
- Introduce you to new possible solutions to your problem
- Writing as simple and easy to understand as I possibly can for you
- No cost to you to read and learn from what I find for you
- Make me happy knowing I am helping you
You can visit me on Pinterest if you desire to, I created a board there with all my guides for easy to access all in one place. You can join for free if you are not signed up, this is just something I wanted to do to provide my guides to more people.
Terrarium Garden Health Benefits
It just happens that I just added two terrarium gardens in my own apartment, being curious what the health benefits of terrariums are, I thought why not share them with you as well?
- Removes pollutants from the air in your apartment or your home
- Provides healthier air that promotes health benefits
- Terrariums are calming to admire and watch your plants
- Creating your own terrarium promotes your creativity, they are easy to design and there are no set rules that you really have to follow
- You can create one from a simple jar or an aquarium as large as you can afford or desire to
- Enjoy the benefits of nature without even leaving your home
- Improves your concentration
- Improves your attention span
- Promotes comfort and self-healing
- Natural pain relief
- Enhances our mental health naturally with no bad side-effects
Amazing something as simple as a jar with plants can improve our lives so dramatically, for anyone curious about what type of plants are in my next paragraph. Do you have a problem you are struggling with, I encourage you to leave your problem in my comments section and I will write a guide with problem-solving solutions.
Terraium Plants Guide
Since I mentioned terrariums and possibly got your interest, I only feel it is my responsibility to provide you with some of the best plants for this project. This will give you a better idea once you know the plants that grow the best, let us learn that next.
- Fittonia or known as the Nerve Plant
- Carnivorous Plants
- African Violets
- Baby Breath
- Creeping Fig
- Club Moss
- Air Plants
- Jade Plant
The plants on the list above will give you a good start, maybe you need some help shopping. We are going to be covering that next, so keep reading to learn more about creating your terrarium garden. If this has been helpful to you, please share it with your family and your friends.
Shopping tips are something Gizmo provides in some of his guides, today we are going to do a search on Google to see what that search engine recommends. This will save you time searching on your own, and I am more than happy to include this for you.
- Hirt’s Gardens
- Meek Outlet
- World Market
You can find even more by doing a search on your own, but these are the top results that came up when I did the search for you. This will save you time, and I suggest you check out Hirt’s Gardens first for they are my favorite source where I find the best deals.
Sharing my guide categories will make it easier and more convenient for you, as everyone is not interested in the same topics. All you have to do is get access to all my articles in any category below that interests you, no wasting your own time searching on my website.
Gizmo is also on Twitter if you are a Tweeter, I would love for you to look me up and even follow my Tweets if it interests you. You will find many useful resources from my followers, you could say this is another good resource for you to consider.
2 thoughts on “Gardening Health Benefits”
Pingback: Why Do We Forget Things | Gizmos Self Help Guides
Pingback: Are Eating Disorders Treatable | Gizmos Self Help Guides