Do lizards make good pets might be on your mind, but many of us never consider this type of pet. We are going to research them to help you make the best decision, the more you know the better you can decide if this is the right choice for you.
Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase is through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. You will not pay more by clicking through the link.
Interested in mini-guides delivered to your email box, I just recently added this as a thank-you for reading my self-help guides. What you can expect is short to the point information on a variety of topics, Feel free to click on the link below to sign up if you are really interested.
Mini Guides Publication
Before we get into researching the topic of the day, I have once again taken the time to search out some deals to share with you. another way of thanking you for visiting my website, now feel free to browse them or go straight to learning about lizards as pets.
- Lizard n Reptile Accessories
- Reptile Terrarium Kits
- Reptile Pet Care Supplies
- Discount Reptile Food
- Best Reptiles for Pets Book Deals
You can browse the deals and bargains above or pass them by, this is just a convenience for you to get what you need to get started and save money at the same time. Maybe you prefer to read about lizards before adding one to your apartment or home, that is what you can find out more about by reading do lizards make good pets.
Browse My Pet Guides
Adding one of the types of reptiles listed below does take some consideration, do you have the extra space for a terrarium should be your first concern. Secondly, are you able to put in the time to take care of one? If both of these questions are Yes, now you are ready to take a look at the ones that make the best pets.
- Bearded Dragon
- Crested Gecko
- Green Anole
We now has some types to research in the remainder of this article, with the information on each one you should be able to make the best decision if this is the right pet choice for you.
Bearded Dragons are super easy pets to care for, they are known to be a great choice for beginners. One thing you must be aware of is they can live as long as 10-15 years, so this is a long-term committment.
- A 120cm long x 60cm high x 60 cm wide terrarium will be needed for a full-grown bearded dragon.
- You will need to be sure to provide them with a well-ventilated terrarium made from solid material that’s easy to clean.
- Be sure to use reptile safe sand
- Rocks and branches to climb on will keep them happy and healthy.
- Providing hiding places is extremely important to this type of lizard.
- Hotter (38 to 42°C), to a cooler (22 to 26°C) is the perfect climate.
- A 10 to 12 percent fluorescent UV tube at the hot end is a must to protect them from metabolic bone disease.
- Keeping humidity low by using a hygrometer to measure the cool end is important.
- Live insects and vegetables are what you want to feed them.
- Providing them with supplements is also needed to keep them healthy.
For more information on how to care for the bearded dragon, I have provided you a video you can watch compliments of YouTube. Just click on the link below to watch the video, and please let me know if this was helpful by leaving me a comment in my comment section if you have the time.
Bearded Dragon Video
Chameleon Pet Care
Knowing some facts caring for the chameleon is what we are going to talk about next, there are several methods to taking care of this type of pet. We are going to learn just one method in this paragraph, but for your benefit, you can read about the other methods in the link provided.
- 2 feet wide by 3 feet deep by 3 feet in height will accomondate a full-grown chameleon.
- Chameleons are solitary reptiles, so each one will require their own terrarium if you ever decide to buy more than one.
- Similar to the bearded dragon, you will need plants, and rocks for them to climb on.
- 72 ° during the day and 50 ° during the night is the preferred temperature for veiled chameleons, you will be needing to purchase a heat lamp for your terrarium.
- If you choose another type, you can refer to the article with the link below for the proper temperatures, there are several species to choose from.
- Be sure to add a pet-safe thermometer inside of your pets terrarium.
- Laser thermometer is an option to check from outside of the terrarium.
- Chameleons like it colder at night, so the heat lamp can be on a timer that turns it off at night.
- Purchase a good-quality UV-B light will also be required.
- Humidity between 50 and 70 percent will what you must provide, you will find a variety of moisture systems for every budget.
- Newspaper and paper towels are a less expensive option than purchasing terrarium liners.
Chameleon Pet Care Guide
Crested Gecko Care
Next on our agenda is the crested gecko lizard, this lizard is another great choice for beginners. you will for sure find this one extremely interesting to know more about, It is a little unique from all the others we have talked about so far.
- Diet of insects and fruit
- The average size when fully grown is approximately 8 inches long.
- Amazingly lives up to 20 years, so plan taking care of this one for a very long time.
- Crickets are their favorite treat that they can’t resist.
- Front opening plastic enclosures are preferred.
- 18- to 24-inch height containers and larger are recommended.
- Again you will want to add plants and rocks for them to climb on as the other lizards we have learned about.
- You will be happy to know no additional lighting is required to purchase.
- Low-watt fluorescent lighting can be used to brighten the terrarium.
- Temperatures between about 68- and 80-degrees is the preferred temeratures, for most apartments and homes this is the normal temperature for the majority of people.
- Crested Geckos are good pets for anyone wanting to add a lizard into their home.
Crested Geckos make very good pets because they are extremely hardy, easy to keep, and handle and come in many different beautiful colors and patterns. They are nocturnal and will spend most of the day sleeping
Gizmo on Pinterest
Green Anole Pet Care
The Green Anole is brand new to me, how many of you have ever heard of this lizard? If anyone has any personal experience with caring for these, we all would love for you to share your experience.
- Average lifespan between 4- 8 years, but the majority live closer to four years old most of the time.
- Shorter lifespan than the others we have researched so far, so this pet will be a shorter comittment.
- Five to six inches in length are the average size.
- Recommended for beginners
- Love to climb so plenty of plants and rocks should be included in the terrarium.
- Gradient heating, special lighting, a basking area, and a healthy diet is the key to taking proper care of them.
- Ten-gallon terrariums are perfect for one or two green anole lizards.
- Larger terrariums are even better if you have the space in your apartment or home.
- Placing them in high areas will prevent them from extreme stress, they don’t do as well in low heights in most homes.
- Ivy, orchids, bromeliads and snake plants are recommended plants that this type of reptile loves.
- A anole’s environment needs to be between 75 and 80 degrees.
- The basking area between 85 and 90 degrees.
- Under-the-tank heaters, heating pads, and a ceramic light for the nighttime are good options.
- Lighting should be 12 hours on, 12 hours off.
- UVA/UVB light helps to prevent metabolic bone disease.
- The humidity level in your reptile tank at 60 to 70 percent is one of the most important parts of proper green anole care,and misting twice per day usually works for most people.
- By purchasing a hygrometer you can be at least sure you are providing the correct humidity
- Crickets, mealworms, waxworms, and maggots are good food choices.
This really is a low-maintenance pet choice, so we have several options to choose from, we have one more to research before you leave. Did you learn anything new today, if so please consider sharing your experience in my comments section.
What Green Anoles Look Like
Iguana Pet Care
The iguana is no stranger to many of you, even I have heard of this one. Being not into reptiles myself, writing this article has been very educational for me as well. Let us see what I found for you about caring for this lizard, we all can help one another by sharing.
- Purchase UVB light bulbs that are specifically labeled for reptiles.
- Place a light 12 to 18 inches above the basking area.
- The coolest area of the terrarium should be between 75 and 80 degrees.
- The basking area should be between 95 and 100 degrees.
- Place a thermostat in the middle and on the edge of the habitat.
- Creating your basking area includes providing a large flat area for your iguana to lay. Direct light from a UVB light, at close proximity to a heat source.
- Use a cage at least 8 feet by 3 feet by 6 feet.
- Use specially designed reptile carpet or flat or shredded newspaper lined the bottom of your terrarium.
- As with the other lizards in this guide, you will need plants and rocks for climbing.
- Create a safe place for hiding.
- Jade plant
Collards, mustard, dandelion, or turnip greens are good food choices to consider, broccoli, bok choy, green beans, and squash are the best vegetables to feed your iguana.
Gizmo on Twitter
I always provide you with some resources to do some research on your own, this is really important to me to share these with you. This website takes helping you as my main priority, so that is the reason you will always find some resources in every article that I write.
- Reptile Rescue State Directory
- Reptile Vet Directory
- Lizards n Snake Resources
- American Pet Association
Decreased blood pressure, cholesterol levels, triglyceride levels, feelings of loneliness, anxiety, and symptoms of PTSD are just some of the health benefits owning a pet. Being a dog owner my entire life has been extremely rewarding, and with my own chronic health problems life has become much more enjoyable with a pet in my life.
19 thoughts on “Do Lizards Make Good Pets”
I have a lot of lizards in the garden, which I really like, but those are enough for me.🦎
I can understand keeping your lizards in your garden, many people here in the United States do keep them as pets. I prefer dogs myself, thank you for reading and commenting
I prefer dogs and cats, too 🌺
Cool, so do you have any dogs or cats at home living with you?
Yes, I have my old dog, a girl, Sissi and there is a cat who regularly comes to visit me to be petted. I call him Byron
I should have known you were an animal lover, I like the names you chosen for your pets
Thank you very much!
I hope you and your pets are well
Fine, thanks a lot 🙏🐾🐾🐾🙏
Great to hear from you and your pets are doing fine
Thanks a lot🌹🙏🌹
Take care my friends and keep writing, I look forward to reading your posts regularly
Thank you again 🙏🙏🙏
Wish you the very best,
I think lizards make great pets and aren’t too difficult to care for which is a big plus. Depends on the type of course but generally they aren’t too bad compared to other pets. Really great post.
Thank you for sharing in my comments section, you are much appreciated as one of my most loyal readers
You’re so welcome.
Thank you very much for responding, you be sure to take care of yourself
Thanks and you too.