You just moved into an apartment, we are going to discuss the most common apartment maintenance problems in this article. Since moving several years ago, this motivated me to write this to help you.
Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase is through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. You will not pay more by clicking through the link. Are you familiar with how affiliate links work, if not feel free to learn more by clicking the link above.
You can find solutions to a variety of problems through my self-help guides, and for your convenience, I have listed the topics that are waiting for you to learn from. With the link provided below you can access all the categories available, this is just my way of saving you the time searching on your own.
- Exercise n Fitness
- Mental Health
- Pet Care
- Weight Loss
Browse all of my articles by clicking here, now let us begin our research on the most common apartment maintenance problems you might face. At the end of this publication, you will find more guides related to homes and gardens.
Common Apartment Maintenance Problems
After doing some research online, I have come up with a list that will be extremely helpful for you. Just knowing what to keep your eye on in an apartment can ease any anxiety, so let us look at what I have found for you.
- Air Conditioning
- Clogged Drains
- Doors and Locks
- Kitchen and Bathroom Sinks
- Garbage Disposal
- Closet Doors That Slide
- Heating System
There might be even more that I have omitted, now if you have any that you wish to share with us leave it in my comments section. By us sharing our own experiences. we all are learning from one another.
Apartment Maintenance Guide
As a renter, you can avoid unexpected problems by simply following the recommendations listed in this section. Including this can be extremely helpful for anyone living in an apartment, being in this position myself, I know from my own experience how valuable this information can be for you.
- Cabinets n Countertops
- Kitchen Appliances
- Air Conditioning
- Apartment Balcony
The basic maintenance tips in the folowing paragraphs might be something you wish to save, now we are going to talk more about each of these in more detail. Just to mention before we move on, you can also get access to Gizmos Guides on Pinterest. I created a board especially for your convenience, with that out of the way let us move on.
We will begin with your floor, I have found just a few tips that you will find useful to know. Remember to share any of your own in my comments section, now here are some maintenance tips for our floors.
- Sweep or vacuum is the first step which should be done daily when possible. If not possible due to your schedule, go for once per week.
- Since moving into my own apartment, I find dust mopping is an effective second step.
- Then damp mopping is our third step to cleaning an apartment floor.
- Mopping is the most effective when done weekly, even I tend to go longer than this at times.
- For the cleanest job be sure to rinse your mop pad out frequently, and if your floor still appears dirty, you need to do this more frequently for a cleaner floor.
- This might surprise you, but use cold water with distilled white vinegar is something I found through researching for this article.
- Another option is one to two teaspoons of Dawn dish detergent in a bucket of water.
Did you learn anything new by reading apartment floor cleaning tips, please feel free to share these with your family and your friends. Be nice if you tell them where you found this information, you are my best resource for helping more people.
What About Windows
Windows is our next home chore to discuss, many people experience windows as very frustrating and difficult. You are not alone if this applies to you, I also put off this more often than I should. Gizmo also is on Twitter as well, you can read my followers’ tweets if you desire to.
- Check your windows at least every year.
- Take the time to be sure the window caulking is not in need of repair.
- Window tracks should be cleaned regularly, and it never hurts to lubricate them for them to work more smoother.
- I clean my balcony windows with a spray bottle with white vinegar and water. Mix equal amounts of white vinegar and water in a clean spray bottle, this works extremely well if done regularly.
- For extremely dirty windows I again use Dawn dish detergent with just a little water on a clean sponge.
Store-bought cleaners contain chemicals which often leave residue, so the two methods mentioned above will solve that problem. Our next section will be focusing on the kitchen cabinets and countertops, whenever you are ready read on.
Kitchen Cleaning Guide
As mentioned above, we are going to battle the kitchen next. Since this is the most used room in most apartments, you will find it is also the most challenging for many renters to maintain.
- One method is to use equal parts of white vinegar and water once again, using this mixture in a spray bottle is what I find the easiest.
- Adding two drops of Dawn dish detergent to this mixture is an option, I use this for stubborn kitchen cabinets and countertops when necessary.
- Just allow this mixture to do its work for a few minutes, then using a soft cloth or sponge wipe them clean.
- Microsoft cloth are your best friend when cleaning anything in your apartment, since starting to use them cleaning is so much less of a chore for me.
Avoiding chemical products really is something I recommend, when you are renting this is even more important to prevent damaging any painted cabinets in your kitchen. We really need to cut back on these as much as possible, the fumes from them are not healthy to be breathing in.
Next on our list are our kitchen appliances, we depend on these for our food preparation. Since saving money is an issue of this website, you will get more life from your appliances by following the suggestions below.
- Stainless steel appliances are the easiest to maintain, they also are so much nicer in appearance.
- Avoid using vinegar on stainless steel appliances, this can cause them to erode. Rubber parts also should be avoided with vinegar, this is important to know for this type of materials.
- For eliminating stains baking soda is very safe to use.
- Simple lemon juice provides similar results as using bleach without the chemicals.
- White vinegar and water is awesome for kitchen appliances when not stainless steel, for a safer solution using baking soda is recommended.
Our kitchen appliances are expensive investments, and it only makes sense to keep them maintained to get the most from your money. Natural cleaning methods are much safer than chemical products, now that you know this decide which one is right for you.
Possibly we are spoiled, but without our air conditioning many of us will be miserable. This can be another expensive investment, we are going to learn how to maintain them in this paragraph.
- Yearly checkups with an HVAC professional will save you from many problems.
- Checking and cleaning your filters is something many of us forget to do, often we really need to replace them often when we lack to maintain them properly.
- While you have the professional there, I would have them check your heating system as well. Why pay twice when you can have them done at the same time, and avoid waiting until problems arrive will prevent you from much frustration and stress.
Knowing the warning signs trouble is right around the corner will prevent you from losing your air conditioning so I feel is worthy of including.
- Noticing the air seems to be warmer than normal coming from your air conditioner or your floor vents.
- Less flow of air than normal.
- It seems to be running more often and possibly even longer.
- An increase in the humidity in your apartment.
- Small amounts of moisture or water on your floor.
- Stinky odors
- Your hearing different noises that don’t sound normal.
Just a few warning signs and cleaning suggestions to help you solve the problem before it happens, this can avoid you to lose your air conditioning by knowing what to look for. The next paragraph we are going to take a short break, I am going to provide you a few deals.
As a bonus for reading about common apartment maintenance problems, I am going to provide you access to some deals that I have found for you. I do receive a small commission if you decide to purchase any merchandise, being honest with you is extremely important to me.
- Women’s Fashion Trends
- Deals n Sales
- Unique Home Decor
- Tech for Less Specials
- Women’s Fashion Deals
- Daily Deals
With my deals out of the way, let us get back to our tips on maintaining your apartment. Every article is focused on helping you as my priority, I just want you to know that you always come first on this website.
From my own experience the bathroom is another room that seems to always need attention, we are going to get some inspiration from the tips included here.
- Weekly attention is required so as not to get behind, even though more often is great for those of you who have the time.
- Keeping up with the bathroom is going to prevent you from getting sick as often, this is where those nasty viruses like to hang out the most.
- Beginner at your bathroom sink working your way to your right until you return to where you started is a good strategy.
- By adding a squeegee to your shower, you can always keep it clean.
- Take the time to rinse and wipe your bathroom sink is an easy way to stay on top of things.
- Washing your bathmats every week or two is another good habit to get into.
- Emptying the trash can often.
- Baskets under the sink come in handy.
Natural Bathroom Cleaners
- White Vinegar
- Baking Soda
- Lemon Juice
- Cider Vinegar
- Essential Oils
- Table Salt
Are you inspired by the information in this paragraph, do you have any tips of your own to share with us? We all would love to hear them, let us work together to make this website extra special.
If you are lucky as me, you have a balcony. I really love having this extra feature in my own apartment, we are going to get some ideas of what needs to be done for this part of your maintenance routine.
- The first step is obvious, we must move everything of our balconey to do the job properly.
- Next, sweep your balcony floor the best that you can.
- Using a sponge mop is what I use myself.
- Use a laundry detergent to remove any stains.
- For tough stubborn spots using a powder laundry detergent on the stains, then scrub them with a scrub bruth works really well.
- Bleach water will remove mold, but use the bleach sparingly.
- Mop the floor clean.
- Sealing your balcony with a sealer with a paint roller is recommended.
What you just read came from the WikiHow website, you can read the entire article in more detail by clicking here. Apartment resources is what is coming next, you really don’t want to miss this.
Gizmo always includes resources in every publication, this is one of the things that I feel is important to provide you with. Before you browse what I found for you, I do have an auto-notifications that is totally free to you. What you receive is my newly published guide in your mail, and never will you find any promotional marketing in any of my notifications.
- Rental Assistance
- Apartment Search Tools
- Find Your Next Apartment
- Apartments n Rentals
- First-Time Apartment Renters
You now have some good resources that might help you, this is very important for me to include these in every guide that I write. Many times you will find new websites that you didn’t even know existed, now to conclude this article here are a few of a few home n garden guides that might help you.
Home n Garden Guides
As promised in my last paragraph, here are a few more articles. By me sharing them here it saves you time, and that is important to me to do for you. I really appreciate you visting my website today, now let us browse the publications below.
Since I just recently added homes and gardens there are only two other guides at this time, remember you have the free option to receive my auto-notifications. Thank you for spending the time with me, and I look forward to helping you more in the near future.
34 thoughts on “Common Apartment Maintenance Problems”
Thanks a lot for the useful information and advice 🙏
Thank you for reading and commenting, I really do appreciate you taking the time
You’re so welcome!
How was your holiday
Wish you an awesome 2023
Thanks a lot! I wish you the same
Did you make any new goals for this year
Very helpful write-up! I like those succulents in the picture!
Thank you very much for reading and commenting, I have found houseplants make life less stressful
Really great advice. The last apartment I lived in had a super dirty balcony when we moved in and we had to really clean it up.
Apartment balconies are a bonus, but they are extra work in cleaning and maintaining. Sorry to hear the tenants before you left you with a dirty balcony, possibly they just didn’t think about cleaning that part of the apartment when moving out
Yes, I think they didn’t use the balcony much so they didn’t care to clean it. It wasn’t too bad after the initial cleaning.
Did you use the balcony yourself, I love mine to relax in the summer evenings enjoying the cool breeze from the river not far from my apartment
Yes, I used it quite often when the weather was good. It’s really nice to relax in the balcony.
Very nice to hear you took advantage of your balcony
I am happy things worked out with your balcony despite the work involved
Thanks, me too. We loved it.
Do you have a balcony now where you are living
No currently we don’t have one which kind of sucks. I liked having a balcony.
Sorry to hear you don’t have a balcony right now, maybe real soon you will relocate to an apartment with one
I will be keeping my fingers n toes crossed that a balcony is in your near future, I love mine and would really miss not having one now
I really appreciate that.
I see you as a new friend and I always try to support my friends
That’s sweet, I see you as a blogging friend too.
Friendship is very special even online, and when your friends are bloggers like you that gives us a special connection
I absolutely agree, and I think connections online are just different. In a way, you can be more open online than you can be in real life.
I totally agree with you on online friendships, I feel extremely fortunate to have met you and formed our friendship online
Thanks and I feel the same way.
I appreciate you sharing with me how you feel, you are doing an awesome job with your website
Pingback: Are Low Income Apartments Safe | Gizmos Self Help Guides
Pingback: Apartment Balcony Cleaning Services | Gizmos Self Help Guides