You are considering adding a pet for companionship, but you are not sure which type of one will fit your busy lifestyle the best. Today is your lucky day, we are going to discuss your options to help you solve this problem.
Prices are exactly the same for you if your purchase is through an affiliate link or a non-affiliate link. You will not pay more by clicking through the link. Feel free to read my affiliate disclosure to understand how affiliate marketing works, you never know this might even appeal to you to give it a try.
Before we get into finding you the perfect type of companion, below I have listed my pet care guides that might interest you. This is my way of saving you time, now if any of them interest you just click on them to go directly to the guide.
Pet Care Guides
Since you are considering adding a pet to your apartment or your home, there are some guides that I have written that might help you decide. If none of these appeals to you, feel free to move on to my next paragraph.
- Best Therapy Dog Breeds
- Plants Toxic to Cats
- Songs About Cats
- Washable Dog Diapers
- Natural Flea Treatments for Kittens
- Homemade Healthy Cat Food Recipes
- Puppy Shot Record Templates for Free
- Overweight Dog Diet Plan
- Free Dog Weight Loss Calculator
- Emotional Support Animals
If you happen to be searching for emotional support, you are able to get your choice of animal certification. This will permit you to move into any rental, even when the landlord doesn’t allow pets. This is just something that you might find handy to know, now let us begin our search for the best pet for you.
Best Apartment Cat Breeds
Our first pet will be cat breeds for apartments, and you are able to move into low-income housing in my state of Pennsylvania for companionship. As a pet, there are specific size requirements, but again this can be overcome with an emotional support letter.
- American Shorthair
- British Shorthair
- Maine Coon
- Russian Blue
- Scottish Fold
- Exotic Shorthair
You now have a nice variety of cat breeds to choose from, I am not pushing you into adding a kitten to your apartment by any means. We are going to be exploring other options, feel free to browse my other self-help guides if you have the time and the desire to.
Why Cats Are Good Apartment Pets
Before you run off shopping for a kitten or cat, we really need to discuss why they might be perfect for your apartment living. Believe me, felines are not for everyone, and I happen to be a dog lover myself. Not because I don’t like them, you see many people including me are allergic to this type of pet.
- Extremely clean animals naturally.
- Rarely will you be required to give them a bath.
- This type of pet seems to be very quiet and in fact, many times you might not see them for hours.
- Meows are much less loud than barking.
- No need to take them outdoors to do their thing.
- Felines are usually no problem to leave at home alone if you have a busy lifestyle.
- It seems the majority of them naturally are easy to train to use a kitty litter box indoors.
- You might even find fewer apartment invaders such as mice with this type of animal companion.
- Cat supplies are on average more budget-friendly, so if you are on a tight budget this might be something to consider.
- Another expense to think about is your veterinarian, you will find they cost much less much of the time.
- Often landlords will permit them even when they don’t permit pets, so with all that we have learned about them so far is extremely important to consider.
I want to thank Pet Helpful for providing us with all this awesome information, you might want to remember this website for future research. Now to be fair, we must learn what problems owning them could occur as well.
Apartment Cat Care
Caring for any pet is often the main thing to consider, we are going to understand how to care for an apartment feline. Most of the tenants in my senior housing apartment have very little problems with their cats, but there are a few who just experienced things they were not expecting.
- The expense of kitty litter is quite higher than people realize, and the main reason is they lacked the knowledge of how often they must change it.
- Being felines are extremely clean animals they refuse to use a dirty portable potty box, so you must be sure to change this regularly or face the consequences.
- I have heard there are self-cleaning litter boxes on the market now, but this does not eliminate changing completely. It does provide you with changing it less often, also the clumping type is highly recommended by cat owners in my own apartment building.
- Regular sharpening of their claws can destroy your furniture and even your walls, so providing them with their own personal claw-sharpening furniture is highly recommended.
- The majority of them are curious to explore every inch of their new home, you might be surprised where these furry animals can squeeze into. Kitty-proofing your home is something you must do, you can find books on this topic to prevent super anxiety.
- Choosing the right type of toy is another thing you must consider, even as fun as it is to watch them play. Quiet toys will be much more appreciated at bedtime than noisy ones, sometimes they are going to decide to be in a playful mood at times you are in need to rest or even sleep.
- Constantly grooming will require more cleaning on your part, you are going to find kitty fur that will need to be cleaned up regularly.
- High places are where kitty prefers to hang out, another investment would be a perch of their very own.
- Many cat owners get quite upset with them often on their kitchen tables, this is another thing to think about before committing to owning a feline.
Now that you know more about caring for a kitty, we are going to go one more step with this type of pet with a guide on caring for them. What most people lack knowledge of is caring for a litter box, so that is what we will learn in my next paragraph.
Kitty Litter Box Care
Knowing about how to care for the litter box will often help you decide, many of us lack this knowledge before adding a cat to our apartment. This is one of the main reasons animal rescue shelters are overloaded with cats, You are invited to visit Gizmo on Pinterest if you desire to. This is another way to get access to all of my guides in one place, and joining is absolutely free to do.
- We want to be sure to provide one litter box for every cat you own, this will make your life so much easier.
- You also could consider two litter boxes per kitty, some of my fellow apartment dwellers tell me their cat will not use one for both urinating and moving their bowels.
- Larger is better when it comes to size, you will wish to aim for a box 1.5 times the size of your feline. this allows them to have plenty of room to choose the perfect spot.
- As for depth, you will want one that will hold 1.5 inches of kitty litter or more.
- Height should be tall enough to stand up to their full height.
- A cover is preferred by many cats, if you go with this type be sure enough ventilation is provided.
- Where to locate your feline’s potty box is another thing we should discuss, one thing is to avoid high-traffic areas. Avoid placing this with their food and water area, so a separate room is what they prefer most of the time.
- Unscented clay kitty litter is the type most cats prefer, whatever type you go with from the start you should use it regularly. Sometimes a new kitty litter will cause them to refuse to use the box, and then they are going to do their business someplace else in your apartment that you are not going to like.
- Bathrooms are often a good room to try first to place your litter box, I hope this has given you some things helpful to think about that you didn’t know before reading best apartment cat breeds.
You now have quite a bit of information to consider on adding a feline companion to your life, so next, we are going to find out the best breeds of dogs for apartments. Gizmo does provide free auto-notifications of all my publications, all you will receive is my recent self-help guide without any marketing promotions of any kind. This is not a newsletter loaded with merchandise for you to buy, that is not what this website is all about.
Best Apartment Dog Breeds
Since dogs are often awesome companions, we are going to explore the better breeds for apartment living. Of course, you will want smaller canines instead of larger ones. You might be surprised to find there is a nice variety of possibilities, we might even find some new breeds we are not familiar with.
- American Eskimo
- American Hairless Terrier
- Australian Terrier
- Basset Fauve de Bretagne
- Basset Hound
- Bedlington Terrier
- Biewer Terrier
- Border Terrier
- Miniature Schnauzer
- Blewer Terrier
- Chinese Crested
- French Bulldog
- Brussels Griffon
- Japanese Chin
- Yorkshire Terrier
- Miniature Australian Shepherd
- Shih Tzu
- English Bulldog
Even though this is not a complete list, you will find these are highly recommended as good dogs for apartments by several of my resources. Are any of these brand new to you, I must admit being a dog lover my entire life, even I have found a few that are not familiar to me.
Why Dogs Make Good Companions
Sharing my home and now my apartment with a canine has been an awesome experience, I would like to include why dogs are good companions next. This might help you make the important decision you are working towards, if you have your own reasons feel free to share them in my comments section at the end of this publication.
- Looking for a cuddly companion, you just have found one in the breeds in this guide.
- Awesome motivator to exercise when otherwise you might blow it off, I must admit my own dog keeps me more active than I would be otherwise.
- Love to spend time with you, one of our favorite ways to spend time other than walking is playing ball.
- Improves our mental health with less anxiety and depression, how can you stay anxious and blue with the love of a canine companion?
- While out with my Miniature Australian Shepherd, I have met and talked with people I otherwise would have never done. People often can’t resist asking me, can I pet your dog?
- Dogs have a natural effect on people, so instead of medication possibly a canine is your best treatment plan.
- People with pets share that they experience a better quality of life, and this is especially shared by singles living alone.
With knowing the rewards of this type of pet, you might be able to make a decision between a puppy, or a kitten. If potty training is not something you wish to tackle, you can find animals already trained in animal shelters ready to adopt. The following information above was found on the Lake City Humane Organization website, let us move on to more to consider when you own a dog.
Caring For Your Dog
Are you up to caring for a dog, I really want you to be prepared. We are going to educate ourselves on what is involved, this will help you understand if this is the right type of pet for you.
- Feed your new pet high-quality dog food, Gizmo feeds his dogs’ all-natural brands. Now depending on your budget will determine which brands will work the best for you, there is no need to go into debt spending more than you can afford.
- Confused about which are your best dog food brands, why not ask a veterinarian?
- Speaking of a veterinarian, you will be in need of finding one to take extra good care of your new best friend. Usually, you only need to take them once per year for their shots and checkup, unless something unexpected happens.
- We want to feed our pets no matter what type on a regular schedule, so this is something else you can consult your veterinarian about as well.
- Aussie, my dog eats twice per day, I feed him in the morning after he goes outdoors and then again in the evening about a half hour before he goes out for the night.
- Avoid the temptation of giving them people food, but if you do research which foods are alright to give your dog first.
- We enjoy a snack or treat usually once per day, what I do is when I have mine, I give Aussie his dog treats as well at the same time.
- Be sure to keep clean water in his water bowl, one convenience now is automatic water bowls for the busy person. As they drink from their bowl, it refills automatically for constant clean water available all the time.
- Microchips are available if you get your dog spayed or neutered, I really love this for my dog because I know if he ever gets lost they can scan the chip. They will then know where he lives with my contact information, this is something every dog owner should consider.
- Pet insurance is an option for any type of pet, Gizmo does not push people to get this unless they really want to and can afford the extra expense.
- Depending on the breed regular grooming is required, for me, this is just another way to spend time with my own dog. You can find a groomer near you if time is not on your side, and this really isn’t expensive if you research the dog breeds that require less grooming.
- Even with a microchip, you should have a dog tag on their collar with your contact information.
- Most canines will adjust to your schedule with patience and time, so they can be awesome additions to a single person’s life.
- One more thing is to consider where will they sleep, some people their canine sleeps with them in their bed. Others provide them with their own bed, now this is totally up to you which one you choose.
- Give them love and they will return many rewards to your life, even though they take a little more care than cats, they are well worth it if you like what they add to your life.
How to care for your dog came from a combination of an article on WikiHow and my own experience, if you are interested in researching even more visit WikiHow with the link provided in this paragraph.
Best Apartment Pets
Dogs and cats are the most common apartment pets, there are more choices that you have to consider than just these two. That is what this paragraph is going to explore for you, who knows one of these might be the perfect one that you have been looking for.
- Betta Fish
- African Dwarf Frogs
- Bearded Dragons
- Leopard Geckos
- Fire-Bellied Toad
- Horned Frog
- Guinea Pig
- Bunny Rabbits
- Sugar Gliders
- Hermit Crabs
Love to Know Pets was my resource for the list above, this is another website that you might wish to visit sometime. Giving credit to my sources is important to me, I want you to know that Gizmo takes the time to really research for the best information in my guides.
Save Money With Coupons
You will find coupons are one of my favorite freebies to share with you, with so many families living on a low budget this is my way of saving you money. If these really are something you would like me to provide more, please leave me to know in my comments section at the end of this self-help guide.
By any chance you have any special requests for coupons, I would love to hear from you. Just leave your request in my comments section, this will allow me to provide you with what would be the most helpful for you to save money. Letting me understand what your favorite stores or interests are will help me, and at the same time benefit you from my coupon section.
Best Free Books
Another popular freebie I love to provide you are books, you can get access to these without costing you anything. Let us see what I have for you in the way of books, you can also find Gizmo on Twitter as well. With that said, we are now ready to browse what I have for you.
- The Cat Who Sang and Other Stories of Rescued Pets
- Pet Palace Cozy Mystery Series
- Sinners Pet
- A Pet in the Park
- Precious Pet
- Teacher’s Pet
- Sofia the Pet Shop Boy
- Alien Pets
- The Adventures of Pitu
- Do Pets Go to Heaven
- League of Super Pets
- Browse and Explore Free Books
Freebies are one of the bonus features you will find in every guide, this is just my way of thanking you for visiting my website. If you were to be so kind as to spread the word, I would be greatly appreciative. Of course, that is if you really enjoyed yourself while visiting my website.
Gizmos Guide Topics
Pet care is only one of the topics I bring to you, and I keep adding more as time permits me to. Below is a list of the categories of my publications, now this is just another way to allow you to access the ones that interest you the most.
- Exercise and Fitness
- Mental Health
- Weight Loss
- Kindle Publishing Success
Really you won’t be sorry adding a pet into your home, even if it sounds to be a huge responsibility and work, it really is worth it. Seniors and singles truly benefit from this, and after reading this guide, you should have a least a few of them that have caught your eye.